Waitaki Valley Community Society is an incorporated society based in Kurow and encompasses the Waitaki Valley area, including Hakataramea. The Society’s function is to provide a hub for community groups and to increase knowledge and awareness of the benefits, facilities and opportunities in the Waitaki Valley. The Society provides funding assistance to groups within the community and ensures ongoing museum and information facilities in Kurow. The Society is registered with the Charities Commission Charities Register and is lead by an Executive Committee .
The Society aims to:
- strengthen social cohesion (build, encourage, and support community networks)
- support and assist community groups and agencies to enhance community wellbeing and productive enterprise
- provide assistance and advice in obtaining funding for community groups
- encourage and support educational opportunities in the community
- ensure museum, medical and fitness facilities which would be otherwise absent in a small community
- enhance the community environment
- provide information about the Waitaki Valley
- liaise with businesses in the Waitaki Valley to enhance community wellbeing
Community Groups Incorporated within the Society
- Kurow Medical Centre Flat - Contact Gaynor Lines
- Kurow Museum - Contact John Sturgeon
- Kurow Museum & Information Centre - Contact Carron Cossens
- Kurow Community Gardens- Contact Carron Cossens
- Children’s Holiday Programme - Contact Carron Cossens
- Town Enhancement Group - Contact Gaynor Lines
- Neighbour to Neighbour - Contact Carron Cossens
- Kurow Trails- Contact Rosina Russell
During the past financial year Waitaki Valley Community Society has been generously supported by the following groups:
Lottery Community Board
Ahuriri Community Board - Waitaki District Council
Lottery Grants Board
The greater Waitaki Valley community and visitors benefit from the support from these groups. The Waitaki Valley continues to benefit from funds from Department of Conservation which supports the Kurow Island Project run by Kurow's Town Enhancement Group.
Callum Reid (Chairman),Sarah Green (Treasurer), Karen Hofman (Secretary), John Sturgeon, Jocelyn McIlraith, Rosina Russell, Gaynor Lines and Graham Sullivan.
The Executive Committee usually meet on the third Wednesday of each month. Contact Us to confirm meeting dates.